Summer at BMC

Sun-soaked postcards from Bryn Mawr College

A Postcard From: Siobhan Glynn ’17

siobhan_glynn1Name: Siobhan Glynn

Year: 2017

Major: Psychology

What’s happening? We’d love to hear how your internship is going! This summer I had taken on an internship at Massachusetts General Hospital, conducting animal psychiatry research. I assisted in studies investigating the sex differences within stress and anxiety disorders, such as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Separate studies have deduced that women are more susceptible to PTSD and other anxiety disorders. Principal investigator, Dr. Mohammed Milad, had theorized that the fluctuating levels of estrogen influence the acquisition of fear and the extinction of fear.

Why I applied for my internship: I am currently studying psychology and will be learning more about neuroscience. I aspire to become a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist within pediatrics. I chose to apply for this internship because I wanted more hands-on experience with psychiatry work. Within this summer, I had acquired a great deal of knowledge within neuroscience and psychology. I was able to build on the concepts that I learned from introductory psychology courses and obtain a greater understanding of psychology and neuroscience that I may not have been able to learn within a classroom setting.

siobhan_glynn2 siobhan_glynn3