Summer at BMC

Sun-soaked postcards from Bryn Mawr College

A Postcard From: Sula Malina ’17

Sula Malina '17 and best friend Mia Rybeck HC '17 at the ClimACTS fundraiser.

Sula Malina ’17 (right) and best friend Mia Rybeck HC ’17 at the ClimACTS fundraiser.

Name: Sula Malina

Major: Intended Independent Gender and Sexuality Studies

What’s happening? We’d love to hear how your internship is going! I’m currently working as a Programs Intern at The Theater Offensive in Boston! TTO is a non-profit theater dedicated to LGBTQ activism (with the understanding that in order to fight one type of prejudice, we have to fight them all). To kick off my internship, I attended TTO’s annual fundraising gala, ClimACTS, which was a huge, crazy, super fun party with lots of amazing performers—I even got to attend with my best friend from Haverford (she’s on the left in the picture). Everything about the position is absolutely incredible: my co-workers, my supervisors, my assignments, and the unbelievably groundbreaking work that is being done to help the LGBTQ community. My biggest project so far has been focused around the Boston Pride Parade. Since TTO is celebrating its 25th anniversary, we wanted to go big with our Pride presence, so we partnered with a puppeteer from New York City to design a giant puppet in the shape of lips with legs and high heels. We spent two grueling weeks building and painting in the most amazing and interesting construction process I’ve ever experienced (honestly, it made me want to be a puppeteer). It definitely made us stand out, even in the rain!

How I heard about my internship: I am connected to The Theater Offensive through family friends, and knew that they were looking for some summer interns.

Why I applied for my internship: The Theater Offensive combines two of my passions—theatre and LGBTQ activism. I knew I wanted to be living at home in Cambridge, and thankfully, Boston has a really great theater scene with lots of amazing companies. Since Boston theaters are on their off season during the summer, TTO was one of the only places that would offer me a position with tasks beyond just cleaning and organizing storage. It was an easy decision.

sula_malina2 sula_malina3