Summer at BMC

Sun-soaked postcards from Bryn Mawr College

A Postcard From: Lisa Merrick ’14

dcps_logoName: Lisa Merrick

Major: Sociology/ Educational Studies Minor

What’s happening? We’d love to hear about your internship: For the rest of the summer, I will be interning in the central office of DC Public Schools. I am working in the Office of Academic Programming and Support, and more specifically in the Department of College and Career Readiness. So far I have gotten the opportunity to hear from Chancellor Henderson herself about the District’s goals for Public Schools to reach by 2017, helped distribute diplomas to a number of Washington High Schools, and have spoken with Deputy Chiefs of other departments in the Central Office.

How I heard about my internship: I came across the Urban Education Leadership Internship Program (UELIP) when searching for various opportunities to work in the field of Education. As an Educational Studies Student, I have been able to observe classrooms and schools in Philadelphia and I was looking for a job or internship where I could learn more about other ways to affect change in the Education sector. I was specifically looking into policy, administration, and educational leadership positions.

Why I applied for my internship: This internship opportunity stood out to me because it offers UELIP associates the chance to participate in mission-critical projects for DC Public Schools (DCPS) and the chance to be on the front lines to see positive changes occuring in an urban school district.